In March of 2014, I had the pleasure of visiting Rusty Preston in his knife shop in Port Isabel, Texas. I learned how to put handles on prefabricated fixed bladed knives. In January of 2015, while watching Rusty masterfully build a slipjoint trapper, he asked me if I would like to learn how to build a knife. I explained to Rusty that I did not have any of the tools needed to build a slipjoint folder. Rusty said, My shop is your shop, use whatever you need. Rusty shared his talent and secrets with me for many hours. Two months later I completed my first slipjoint trapper. Rusty introduced me to master knife makers such as Rodney Watts, Bill Ruple, and Johnny Stout. All of whom shared their thoughts and provided me with beneficial input. Since January of 2015, all I have done is slipjoint folders. Rusty suggested I attend the Blade Show as an exhibitor in 2016. What an invaluable experience! So I returned again in June of 2017 to attend the Blade Show as an exhibitor and entered a slipjoint into the Best New Maker completion. I was fortunate to win the honor of Best New Maker award with my double bladed slipjoint trapper with mirrored Roman Knot file work and amber stag handles. My joy is building slipjoints with roman knot and vine file work, using ancient mammoth ivory, stag, and exotic stabilized woods for handles.
- Double Blade TrapperBy: Jacob, Phil, BladeShow 2019Date Added: 06/19/19Price: $1,395.00
- Two-Blade TrapperBy: Jacob, Phil, BladeShow 2018Date Added: 01/02/19Price: $625.00
- Lanny's Clip - Blue Swordfish BillBy: Jacob, Phil, BladeShow 2018Date Added: 06/04/18Price: $695.00
- Single Blade TrapperBy: Jacob, PhilDate Added: 09/06/17Price: $645.00
- Single Blade TrapperBy: Jacob, PhilDate Added: 09/06/17Price: $525.00
- Single Blade TrapperBy: Jacob, PhilDate Added: 06/28/17Price: $500.00
- Single Blade TrapperBy: Jacob, PhilDate Added: 06/16/17Price: $575.00